In a preview of what would likely come if Barack Obama and the gun control Democrats get their way, residents of New York City who own registered rifles which are capable of holding over five rounds of ammo received an ominous letter from the NYPD. Thetruthaboutguns.com has a jpg of one such letter, adding this:
Meanwhile, there it is: the reason why expanded background checks, indeed all background checks and any type of registration, set the stage for confiscation.
It looks like something a fascist dictator might send out:
You have the following options:
1. Immediately surrender your Rifle and/or Shotgun to your local police precinct and notify this office of the invoice number. The firearm may be sold or permanently removed from teh City of New York thereafter.
2. Permanently remove your Rifle and/or Shotgun from New York City and provide the following:
- Disposition Report/Registration Certificate(PD Form 641-121)
- Notarized statement of permanent removal and statement of where the firearm will be stored outside the City of New York
- Utility bill or other proof of residency regarding the address where the firearm will be stored outside the City of New York
3. You may call to discuss the matter if you believe your firearm is in compliance, or you may request the option to bring your firearm to a licensed gunsmith for a permanent modification and certification proving that it is permanently modified and in compliance. If you are granted the option of seeking a permanent modification, you must provide proof that the firearm is in the possession of a licensed gunsmith in a timely manner.